Sunday 22 April 2012

Sloth


Dear Reader,

I began this post yesterday, when it should have been published. It didn't feel right, and it was hard to see where I was going with it. So I slept on it, (not literally, that would be silly.) Next morning I began to see what the problem was. I wasn't happy with the word. Seventies (the decade, not the age group) would have been the subject, but, it didn't feel right. Today I came up with something much better, let the sloth begin!

Starting with the sin, sloth, which is a bad one, apparently. Along with lust, gluttony, greed, wrath, envy and pride it is classed in certain religious circles as deadly. I imagine posting Saturday's post on a Sunday could be considered slothful so that's me sunk. Looking at the list I could see all of those happening in an average weekend, with the exception of wrath. I try to keep my wrath in check. Regular readers of this blog will note that I don't always succeed.

There is another type of sloth who isn't deadly and certainly isn't a sin. These sloths (two or three-toed) are residents of Central and South America jungles. They eat leaves and move very slowly. There are reasons for this which I will explain. 

I like it this way up.
Sloths are in fact specially adapted to be lazy. Leaves are tough and difficult to digest. When a leaf is swallowed by a sloth, it may not complete the journey through the sloth digestion system for twenty days. Leaves do not provide much energy, to cope with this sloths have a low metabolic rate and like to keep their core body temperature down. One of the tricks to achieving this is being lazy. Don't move too much, and when you do move, move slowly.

Sloths have adapted significantly and as a result have become one of the more successful animals that inhabit the rainforests. It would appear that being slothful is not that deadly after all.

Not only are sloths well adapted, they are also YouTube superstars, courtesy of the only sloth sanctuary in the world, Aviarios Del Caribe, located in Costa Rica.

   

I so need to get a job at this place, but the waiting list for employment is very long. You can see why.




Sloths can cross the road all on their own, but they are slow, so sometimes a little help is required. 




Actress Kirstin Bell LOVES sloths. Apparently an emotional character at the best of times, the thought of meeting a sloth for the first time proved a little too much. 



That's enough sloths I think, until tomorrow, Dear Reader, when I shall be tantalised by the letter T. 

xx

19 comments:

  1. I'm glad you "slept" on it and decided to do this "Sloth" post - I just loved the video where the sloth was trying to cross the road - I hoped someone would do what the fellow did...I couldn't imagine traffic being patient enough to let the little critter inch its way across the road without getting run over.

    Wonderful "S" post.
    Jenny @ Pearson Report
    Co-Host of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping over, glad you liked the video. For me sloths are the cutest thing. Every time I watch one of them it makes me smile.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Brian! I can totally relate to Kristin because that's how I am, LoL. I cry over everything–sadness, excitement, happiness, anger. Everything! I'd be exactly like this if it was a zebra coming to my birthday party!

    Hope you're having a lovely weekend and happy A to Z!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura. I cry over happy things too, I hope you get a zebra next birthday

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, for the compliment and for popping by. I have finally got round to popping round to you.

      Delete
  4. That Kristen Bell clip makes me laugh all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is (in a nice way) emotionally variable

      Delete
  5. No mention of Ice Age?
    http://www.wallpapers4desktop.net/_ph/17/2/56641587.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, having only watched the films once the sloth connection rather passed me by. A missed opportunity, perhaps.

      Delete
  6. No mention of Sid from the Ice Age movies? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think after several weeks of doing this challenge we've all had moments - rather, posts - we've had to sleep on. I slept on S, too.

    Maybe Sleep On It will be my topic if I do the challenge again next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging by my performance this year I could sleep on about half! And as for keeping up with comments...

      Delete
  8. I saw Kristen Bell on the Ellen Show that day. My god, she was hysterical. I think I'd probably have the same reaction to meeting Joss Whedon though so maybe I shouldn't laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have buttons, they just need pressing. Glad you liked it reliving it.

      Delete
  9. Aww all those videos are so cute! And I think that Kristin Bell one is so funny! I'm glad you chose sloths, great post :)

    ReplyDelete